- 27 October 2020
Families of disabled children will receive a new heating benefit by Christmas. The new Child Winter Heating Assistance from the Scottish Government is a £200 payment to help families of a child on the highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance for Children to heat their homes. There are more than 14,000 children across Scotland expected to be eligible.
I am pleased to see this delivered as it is the first form of disability assistance to be introduced by the Scottish Government using its new social security powers.
As the nights draw in, and the temperature starts to drop, payments will arrive between Friday 27 November and Friday 11 December, in time for Christmas.
You do not need to apply for this payment. It will be made automatically by Social Security Scotland using information provided by the Department for Work and Pensions. Families will get a letter in advance to confirm that they will be getting this payment.
This is the third new welfare payment the SNP Scottish Government have delivered this year – Job Start Payment, Scottish Child Payment and now the Child Winter Heating Assistance.
The Scottish Government are continuing to work with delivery partners to review the timeline for introduction of our remaining benefits and will do everything they can to start these as soon as we can practically and safely do so.
If you believes that you are eligible for this payment and haven’t had a letter or a payment, you should contact Social Security Scotland from Tuesday 8 December for further advice. You can do this online at mygov.scot/contact-social-security-scotland/ or by calling the Freephone helpline on 0800 182 2222.
How it works
- you will qualify for Child Winter Heating Assistance if they live in Scotland and were in receipt of the highest rate care component of Disability Living Allowance for children on at least one day between 21 September 2020 to 27 September 2020.
- families will get letters in advance to confirm to expect this payment. Payments will be made in batches from Monday 23 November and arrive in people’s banks approximately four days later. It is expected to take two weeks to complete all payments. This payment will be made to the same account that they receive Disability Assistance Living Allowance for Children payments to.
- families will get a payment for every child who receives the highest rate Disability Living Allowance for children. This is not a per household payment.
- if a family believes that they are eligible for this payment and they haven’t had a letter or a payment, they should contact Social Security Scotland from Tuesday 8 December for further advice.
- people can contact Social Security Scotland through web chat at mygov.scot/contact-social-security-scotland/ by calling the Freephone helpline on 0800 182 2222.